City of St. Paul Park 

on the Mississippi

Running for Municipal Office

Information on the qualifications to hold office, candidate filing, and important deadlines.

Qualifications for Candidates Seeking Municipal Offices:

Minnesota law states that candidates for local offices must be:

  • Eligible voter;
  • Has no other affidavit on file as a candidate for any office at the same time;
  • 21 years of age on day assuming office;
  • Has lived in St. Paul Park at least 30 days before the election.

NOTE:  Minnesota Statute 412.02 (sub 1A) states that neither the mayor nor any city council member may be employed by the City. For purposes of this subdivision, "employed" refers to full-time permanent employment as defined by the city's employment policy.

When to file:  

The filing period for local offices to be elected in November opens 70 days before election and closes 56 days before election.

Where to file:  City  Hall

Candidates for municipal offices must file with the City Clerk, St. Paul Park City Hall, 600 Portland Avenue, St. Paul Park MN 55071.

Filing Fee:  $5

Candidates must pay a filing fee at the time of filing their affidavit of candidacy.

Become a Candidate:

  • All candidates must file an affidavit of candidacy for local offices. Candidates must state that the name listed on their affidavit is their true name by which they are commonly known in the community. 
  • A properly completed affidavit and filing fee must be submitted by mail or by hand and received by the city clerk during the filing period.   
  • Affidavits must be signed in the presence of a notary or an individual authorized to administer oaths. 
  • Candidates who will be out of state during the filing period may file an affidavit of candidacy and pay the required filing fee the seven days immediately preceding their absence from the state. 


Affidavits of withdrawal are due within 48 hours of the close of filing.  Affidavits of withdrawal from candidates may be submitted to the city clerk by 5:00 p.m. The filing fee is not refundable. 

Campaign Expenditure  Reporting:

Information about financial reporting requirements is available from the City Clerk.  Candidates must file reports with the filing clerk.

Those interested can obtain the following candidate filing information from City Hall.

  1. Campaign Manual
  2. Candidate Filing Packet-City of St. Paul Park
  3. Affidavit of Candidate Form 
City of St. Paul Park, 600 Portland Avenue, St. Paul Park MN 55071