City of St. Paul Park 

on the Mississippi

Certificate of Occupancy

No building or structure can be used or occupied, and no change in the existing occupancy classification of a building, structure or portion of a building or structure can be made until the building official has issued a certificate of occupancy for the building or structure.   Issuance of a certificate of occupancy is not approval of a violation of the code or ordinances.

Certificate of Occupancy is needed for:

  • New residential homes
  • New commercial buildings
  • Existing commercial buildings--when one tenant moves out and another moves in
  • Change in the character or use of an existing structure
  • Buildings or structures moved into or within the City. 
  • Rental Properties (two or more units)


Certificate issued

After the building official inspects a building or structure and finds no violation of the code or other laws, the building official will issue a certificate of occupancy. 

The building official may issue a written suspension or revocation of a certificate of occupancy issued if the certificate is issued in error or on the basis of incorrect information supplied, or if the building or use of the building, structure, or portion of the building or structure is in violation of any code or ordinance.

Temporary occupancy

The building official is authorized to issue a temporary certificate of occupancy before the completion of the entire work covered by the permit, provided that the portion(s) can be occupied safely. Typically this is exterior work that could not be completed due to inclement weather.  A temporary certificate of occupancy will be issued after the City receives funds listed in the Escrow Agreement.  The building official will set a time period during which the temporary certificate of occupancy is valid.  

A final certificate of occupancy will be issued only after all of the work referenced in the escrow agreement is completed. 


City of St. Paul Park, 600 Portland Avenue, St. Paul Park MN 55071